Most of us have seen the Horrible Bosses movie. And while many of us wouldn’t be too disappointed to have Jennifer Aniston as a boss, how do we know what makes a bad boss in real life?
Let’s delve into the warning signs of a bad boss.
It is important to be happy at work. Particularly when it comes to productivity and career fulfilment, as well as your own mental health.
Here are five questions you need to ask to work out if your boss is good or bad.
First up it is important to consider what you are seeking in a boss. Everyone has different expectations and goals when it comes to their own career. These should be reflected in your boss. Ask yourself, are you looking for a mentor, an inspiring go-getter or a person that challenges you? Or are you more of an independent worker?
It is important that your employee-boss match is a good fit to ensure career progression.
Determine your values
It is important to work in a place that reflects your values as this will increase your chances of being satisfied in the job. Whilst many of us are able to park our values in the short-term to get the task done, it is important that in the long-term values lineup. Does your boss match up with your values?
What are the warning signs?
Finally, make a list of your past bosses. Write down their pros and cons. What did you like or not like about the way you worked with them?
Questions to ask to avoid a bad boss
- What would you say are the characteristics of employees who exceed in this organisation?
- What would you say is important in this role aside from skills and experience?
- How do you prefer to give feedback? What methods of communication work best for you?
- Do you have an example of a time when you have supported your employees career growth?
- How would you describe your leadership style?
All the best with finding a suitable boss in 2022! Looking for more career advice? Click here.